5 Mistakes That Your UI/UX Designer May be Committing

UI/UX Design

User interface and user experience design is the heart and soul of a good E-commerce website.  You want to make your interface user-centric, and working with a reputed UI/UX design company can go a long way in the same.  Your UI/UX developer may be using pre-built themes or creating their own prototype from scratch; but basic errors in the design can cost your online retail store dearly.  Here are 5 of the top UI/UX design mistakes that you should avoid:

  1. Email Subscription Form: When you think of UI, you consider things like navigation, flow, etc.  However, no one thinks of basic website elements like an email subscription form.  It is said that well segmented and targeted emails can generate a high level of revenue.  In fact, emails are still found to create more traction than social media.  However, this impact can only be realized by your eCommerce store if there is an easy email subscription form on your website.  This is the only way of organically expanding your email list and being able to increase your sales revenue.
  2. Missing or Inadequate Search Box: So, you are working really hard on making your navigation straightforward.  Given the ease of navigation, you don’t think you need a search box on your website.  This can be a big mistake that you commit.  Research suggests that visitors who make use of your website’s search box are more likely to become customers.  These search boxes come standard with most eCommerce builders.  You need to, however, optimize them to include some relevant features.  Some of the top things to consider with these search boxes are:
    1. The color of these boxes should offset from the rest of the site for them to stand out
    2. There should be an option to filter results
    3. Your search engine should be able to handle long tail searches
    4. There should be an embedded auto complete option
    5. Finally, there need to be intelligent breadcrumbs.
  3. Confusing Menu:  You should certainly initiate a conversation with your UI/UX developer about your menu.  Most visitors to your website navigate through your menu to find what they are looking for.  Your job is to ensure that 100% of your visitors find what they are looking for on the site.   Menu should be fool-proof and created with your users in mind.  Moreover, there are a few elements that should be included in the mix:
    1. Contact information
    2. Link to your products
    3. About us page
    4. About page with product information
    5. Company logo that links to Homepage
  4. Inconsistent Shopping Cart Flow: Once you have captured your users’ attention, helped them find what they were looking for, and compelled them to buy an item; you have completed 90% of the job.  However, the remaining 10% can make or break your success with eCommerce.  Confusing checkout processes are among the top reasons for abandoned carts.  Your users would appreciate a checkout experience that is simple and secure.  There are a few things that will help:
    1. Technology to help customers login with their Social Media ids
    2. Trust badge on the website to build trust
    3. Option to review order details and edit them, if needed
    4. Final order checkout button
  5. Critical Pages not included:  Finally, you need to include all the important pages on your website.  Many eCommerce websites make the mistake of including only top pages like About Us, Product Pages, etc.  However, there are many other pages that need to be included in the mix; like:
    1. Privacy Policy
    2. Shipping & Returns Policy
    3. Product How-Tos
    4. FAQs
    5. Press/Media Info
    6. Buyer’s Guide

By avoiding these mistakes you will be able to create a seamless eCommerce experience.  Talk to your UI/UX web designer today, and see if they have already built a strategy for the same.  If you need a highly professional UI/UX design company to help you with a project, we will be happy to help.  Contact us today for more information on our services, experience, and pricing.

Mahek Dave About the author